love everlasting - dealing with grief
I saw a quote a while ago that has stuck with me since
what is grief if not love everlasting?
I think it resonated so much with me because over the past 2 years, I have dealt with a great deal of grief in nearly all aspects of my life.
I lost my father unexpectedly and suddenly. He was my best friend and one of my biggest sources of support. Losing him derailed my life in more ways than I would've expected. It's been 2 years since his passing and I still feel it's effects every single day.
I got out of a toxic relationship that took up 4 years of my youth, years that were so formative to who I would become. I grieve the person I was before that relationship, before I developed all of my anxieties and insecurities. I grieve all of the energy and light I lost because of it.
I lost a friendship that spanned multiple years and phases of my life. Someone who I miss nearly every day. Even if I know that it was better in the end to dissolve our relationship, it still left a big gap in my life.
I even grieve the motivated girl I was when enrolled in full-time studies. Now I feel stuck and like I am floating around with hardly anything concrete or obtainable to work towards.
Up until not too long ago, I always thought of grief to be a negative emotion. What you feel after a loss, wondering what could've or would've been, but no longer can.
And it is that, but it's also just so much built up love, and joy, happiness, with no where to go.
I loved my dad with all my heart. And I am able to grieve because of all the memories we shared, all of the times he supported me with my school plays, my horse riding lessons, or even just hanging out with me when I was bored or feeling down.
That toxic relationship may not have been great, and it may have taken away a lot of who I was, but it still taught me a lot. It helped me learn about my personal boundaries, what I am or aren't willing to put up with. It showed me how I don't deserve to be loved... And for that I am grateful.
I still adore my friend whom I no longer speak to. She will always glow in my many memories of us together. Through breakups and hardships, her kindness and humour always stood strong.
And I cherish everything I did accomplish throughout my college years. The risks I took, the work I put in, all the places I got to travel to. I never did get that diploma. Still working on that...
Greif is tough. I deal with the sudden bursts of anger and sadness that come with it on the daily. I always try to remind myself that the silver lining to dealing with your grief, or mourning a loss, is that you had something to care about. You are able to feel emotions so deeply, which is a blessing. The love you hold doesn't minimize the hurt or loss, but I think that it gives it a beautiful meaning.
With love,
Mckenna
Comments
Post a Comment